Monday, July 17, 2006

Franklin Square Park Opens July 31st

When I cross the Delaware on the PATCO, I always look out the window at the abandoned Franklin Square station that appears before the 8th and Market stop. The last time it was used was in 1976 during the bicentenial celebrations and then it was closed due to lack of ridership. There is some possibility that this station may become active again according to the Southern New Jersey to Philadelphia Transit Study but I wouldn't wait for that to happen in order to visit the newly renovated Franklin Sqaure Park.

New features include a a carousel, mini golf and playgrounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're sort of correct and sort of not... while the station did re-open for the bi-centennial back in 1976, it remained open until 1979. So, in actuality, it was last used in 1979, not 1976.

I refer you the following Wiki article to back up my claims here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Square_%28PATCO_station%29


And, since I'm giving links on this topic here anyway, let me drop my link to the footage I shot aboard the PATCO Hi-Speedline of the abandoned Franklin Square station as we passed through heading into Philly (though It's quite dark and hard to see much of anything in the footage, I'll admit).

Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBKINr96Tqo