Friday, December 21, 2007

Eating at Nathan's

Today I stopped in for lunch at the new Nathan's Famous at 3rd and Market in Camden. I had a cheeseburger, onion rings, and lemonade. The food is made to order, not kept hot under a lamp, and the grills are right behind the counter where you can see them. I watched the burger cook on the grill, saw the onion rings go into the fryer. You know what is happening to your meal and who is preparing it. The burger was good, as you might expect being freshly made; the bun was lightly toasted. The onion rings were exceptional, light and crispy. The lemonade was just right.

There was a long line when I went in a little after noon. Things were just calming down when I left about 30 minutes later. There was ample seating for all those who wanted to eat in as opposed to take out.

The staff was courteous and well-organized considering it was only their third day in business.

I will definitely be going back.

2 comments:

kwadz said...

Thanks for writing this blog - I just started working in Camden last week and I found it while searching for local food.

I just stopped in to try Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips for lunch today. The staff was very friendly, polite, and actually pointed out a deal price that I didn't notice when I initially placed my order. The restaurant was also very clean and there were a few pairs of cops eating there, too, so you know it's good local food. :)

I had the Fish & Chips platter and a 5 piece Lobster Bites. It came with 2 large triangular breaded pieces of fish, a large pile of really good fries, about 6 hush puppies (mini hot dogs wrapped in dough), a side of coleslaw, and tartar sauce. The fish was really hot and tasty with the tartar sauce. The fries were perfectly soft (not overcooked) and had lots of flavor. The hush puppies were great - I'm not sure if they're normally part of the meal or if they just threw them in. The coleslaw was some of the best I've ever had! It was right up there with Roy Rogers. And the Lobster Bites were really tasty little balls of breaded lobster (real or fake?). I'll definitely be back.

Julie said...

kwadz,

Thanks for dropping by and welcome to Camden. Glad you liked Nathan's. The city has a nice selection of local food at a good price these days. Give Riviera's a try some time.